Thursday 28 May 2009

28/03/09 First Attempt At The Brakes

OK well we did start on the brakes a little later in the day than planned! This was down to a new experience for me called 'scrapping'! I was just tagging along with my friend who needed to get parts for his cars before we started on the camper. So I ended up spending the morning standing on a 6ft wall, holding open the boot of a golf, which was precariously balanced on top of another car, while my friend leaned into the boot to cut out what he needed!

Anyway after our balancing act we went on to another scrap yard to try and find Volvo door cards. While there my friend pointed out a white T25 behind some cars. So while he was hunting around for what he needed I made my way over to it. It was tightly tucked away and I had to crawl through several cars and vans to get close to it. Once I had managed to get out of the boot of the van I had crawled into I was able to get a better look at it. It was a sad sight the van had been stripped bare. Most of the doors had gone too. All that was left were the exterior panels.

When I had managed to crawl back out of the mass of cars, we found the door cards we needed and went home to tinker with my camper :)!

We had decided to take off the right front wheel to have a look at the brakes and the thought was just to clean them up before we put it in for an M.O.T. Well that was the plan anyway!

We jacked up the camper so the wheel was off the ground. Once we had taken off the hub cap, using a screw driver, we started to undo the five bolts holding the wheel on, starting with the top ones first. When we had undone them all we then took the whole wheel off so we could inspect the brake discs and the calipers. What a sight! The discs where really rusty and when we started to brush them down we realised they where extremely pitted. This meant new brake discs. After a closer inspection of the calipers we realised we would also need new ones of these. As we needed to order the parts and it had started to rain we just popped the wheel back on and called it a day.
:(


The brake discs and calipers

It was a shame we didn't actually change or fix anything, but I did learn how to jack up a vehicle and take the wheel off! Anyway it has helped as we now know what we need to order from GSF and what the plan is for next time.

No comments: