Thursday 28 May 2009

16/05/09 Second Attempt At The Brakes!

After discovering the need for new brake discs and calipers, I had to ring up a VW dealership to find out what types I needed. When I rang they told me that Volkswagen does not make my camper van's brake discs any more and so were unable to quote me a price! They also told me that my camper is on the cusp of when T25s went from air-cooled to water cooled, which meant they were not sure exactly what type of calipers my camper needed. Changing the brakes became a little harder than taking off the wheel, replacing some parts, putting the wheel back on and job done!

So for our next tinkering session we decided to look at the brake parts, to see if they had a number or a name on, then we could order them from GSF.

We jacked the camper up again and unbolted the wheel and looked all over the caliper for a name or number but they were so badly rusted we were unable to see any detail on them!



That meant the next thing we needed to do was to remove a brake pad. Well when I say we I mean my friend. Due to the camper not moving in the last five years the brakes had seized up and the brake pads were very 'snuggled' in. When trying to remove the brake pad my friend managed to snap his 'INDESTRUCTIBLE' screwdriver! However, with a bit of wiggling around he eventually got the pad out in one piece! My dad then cut a bit of wood to wedge in the gap where the brake pad had been, as a temporary measure. As nothing else could be done at that time we just popped the wheel back on.


Putting the wheel back on

No comments: